Monday

Spanish Rice


This is my favorite Spanish Rice recipe. 


I've had it around for 30 plus years and have never come across one that I've liked better.

Tangy, sweet and smoky, all at once. 

I like to use pepper bacon if I have it around, 
but if you do, leave off the pepper called for in the recipe. 
Or don't.....whatever you like. 

It's almost impossible to mess this up.



Pin It

Spanish Rice

6 slices of bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 green or red pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 28oz can whole tomatoes, broken up by hand or chopped
1 cup water
3/4 cup long grain rice
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp pepper
5-6 shakes of hot sauce, or to taste (I like Tabasco)

Cook bacon in a large skillet, remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate and set aside. Keep 2 tbsp of drippings in the pan; sauté onion and pepper until tender. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes longer. 

Stir in liquid from tomatoes; add tomatoes breaking up by hand or chopped. Add the remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 30 minutes or until rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed; stir in crumbled bacon. 

2 comments: